Monday, March 13, 2017

Destination Victory.


             "If you want something bad enough, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse."


       Ever since I started my coaching job/practicing at Brookhaven Country Club last year in December, I've been hearing Dave Anderson (whom is my boss, coach, and mentor) say those words on a daily basis. He does so with great purpose- to let us tennis players learn that success will not be given to those that make excuses to justify why they "cant" but to those who say they "can" and find a way to do it. I also really like to remind myself that "when there is a will, there is a way." I've personally been fighting with myself when it comes to having will and finding a way. Dave Anderson, whom I really started looking up to ever since I came to Brookhaven Country Club, has been one of the very few people I can trust to tell me things as they are. He will not sugar-coat anything, even if you give him endless Mountain Dew and candy (which he reaaaallllyyy loves.) Because he is a man of great wisdom when it comes to values not only in tennis but in life,  I have grown so much even in just the very first few weeks of being here at the Club. In total, I've been here a little over three months, and I can say with great confidence that this is the best place for me to be right at this very moment. I have no doubt that God lead my mom and I to Texas not only to join Gateway Church but also to further advance myself as a player and a person, through amazing people like Dave Anderson.



       Coach Dave believes in me. I think that it has a great part in what motivates me and encourages me to keep going in tennis. He sees potential and a bright future in me. It's not like I don't have people that believe in me or support my dream, because I definitely do. But in this case, it is special. Dave Anderson has heard about me prior to my coming to the Club but he didn't know me as a person on a deeper level. Something everyone should know about Coach Dave is that he can read people very well; he once told me he is very hypersensitive and I've seen that myself. I really like that about him because he can help people on another level, like he helps me. From the very first few practices that I've had here, Coach Dave could already see what type of personality I had. For example, he knew that when I would get even slightly more quiet than usual, that something was bothering me. He can see it in the smallest details of my body language, details other people would easily overlook. I understand if my mom could read me that well, but here was Coach Dave knowing my personality and characteristics within a few days/weeks! Noticing little things like that meant a whole great deal to me. The fact that Dave Anderson, who has seen many great players in his extensive experience in the tennis world, believes in me and tries to find every way possible to help me (along with so many other people), is just so astounding to me. Just like the many people here at Brookhaven and around the world, I have superior respect and gratitude towards Dave Anderson. I felt it right to mention him to you, my readers, because I believe he will play a great part in my life (as he already does.) Though it's been only a few months, there is already so much to thank him for. He is one of the few people that I can call truly genuine, caring, loving, and compassionate. He is also the person that God used to spark  a passion back into my tennis career. Thank you, Dave Anderson, for everything you have done and will do.

 
       To talk about tennis, I will need to tell you the way it all began. I started playing tennis when I was seven years old because of my brother Max, who quit tennis because he was the more artsy, music-type in the family (I actually love music even more than him now but that is another story to tell.) Fun fact - I had to do gymnastics when I was six because the tennis club wouldn't let me join until I got older and strengthened my muscles a little bit more. That honestly was a great help for my tennis because it was almost as if I got a head start at developing coordination and strength, which is much needed when attemtping to exceed in sports. My tennis dream didn't start until a little over eight months into playing, which is when the tennis teacher at the tennis club in Kazakhstan told my mom that I was gifted and that we should pursue tennis on a more serious level. Of course, my mom being the mom that wants everything for her children (and not just everything, but the best) decided to search online for the best tennis academy in the world. That is how we found IMG Bollettieri Tennis Academy in Florida. It may sound as if it was just a simple, easy decision to make the move because we could financially afford to, but with the dream came a price, and BOY did we pay for it in the years to come. To this day, it still amazes me how my mom sacrificed everything for my tennis. She believed in me even when I didn't exactly know how to properly hit a ball, the thought of her little girl loving tennis and wanting to become something great was enough for her to decide to make the life-changing move. It is vitally important for me to state the fact that God was the author of our story from the very beginning. The way the chapters unraveled throughout the years in the US was nothing short of miraculous. I thank God for it all, and especially for my mom.

 

        With all the amazing aspects of the start of my journey in tennis, come the struggles and trials my family had to endure. My mom and brother and I moved to Bradenton, Florida on August 16th, 2006. What a special date to remember! I am really glad that I know the exact date because every year on August 16th, I can remember the start of a dream and the deep meaning behind it, including the sacrifice my mom made as part of the move. She sacrificed not only her business and her family, but her life. She devoted her life to making her childrens' dreams come true and that, I could never thank her enough for. Can you imagine the tremendous effort, belief, and strength such a move takes? It's something you'd see in a movie or read in a book, but my mom made it a reality. The move to the United States from Kazakhstan changed my family's life in ways more good than bad, but it is indeed a bitter-sweet story. The way my mom had to start a new life from scratch in Florida is more than my words could ever attempt to describe. Little did we know this new life would bring so much joy and yet sadness, tears and laughter, weakness and strength, gain and loss, and most definitely pain and healing. But I wouldn't trade it for anything, because what is a life without struggle? No good story has a plot without twist. The twists in life are what make our stories special; they also create unique testimonies. My family's is one of those testimonies - uniquely powerful and moving - one to share.

 

        My story hasn't ended, though. It is still very much a story in process. I believe it will reach its climax very soon. I believe that everything my family has endured (which I will be sharing throughout my blog posts) is something to think about to push me when I feel like I can't get up and fight anymore. With all honesty, something that always touches my inner being is the image of me holding a Wimbledon trophy. I just close my eyes and see a vision of that very moment. That significant moment when I finally raise the trophy high over my head, in front of thousands of people in the stadium, and millions around the world. But a very specific detail in my vision is that even though there is a multitude of people around me, I can easily focus in on my mom in the player's box and I can just see the overpowering emotion in her eyes. All it would take is a look at each other, no words spoken, and we'd both know what was going through our minds. All the days, weeks, months, and years put into this dream would flood our minds; all the time of hard work and endless battles fought... All so worth the moment we both endured pain for. That is my vision, having my mom next to me when I reach the biggest milestone of my life - a dream made reality.

 

        No words could describe what we went through, what we go through, and the way I see the vision. But I can find words to describe what I want. I want to become someone great - inside and outside the court. I want to be able to change not only aspects within my life's circle, but the world's. It is a big goal, I know. Difficult? Yes. Impossible? No. Not in God's eyes, it's not. "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." - Luke 18:27. With that said, I'd like to share the simple truth that I refuse to give up on my dream; it is only the beginning. I invite you on my journey as I travel down the road of twists and turns leading to Destination Victory.

 

                                                                                              From Me to You,
                                                                                                             Maria.

1 comment: